Sunday, August 9, 2009

Conor

He stands by my book-signing table, bright blue eyes and not quite four feet tall as he tells his grandma of all the things he still wants to do at the fair, today.

Before I can stop myself, the life coach in me takes over and I am asking him if he would like a piece paper to write his list down.

To my surprise, he does.

I hand him my very special pink pen.

At the top of the paper, in the center, he writes: LIST.
In caps and underlined.

Next comes a column of four little check boxes, next to the names of four cool things to do.

As he finishes, his grandma reminds him that he had wanted to get an ice cream cone, also.

His eyes light up as he starts drawing his fifth check box.

But then he stops.

He looks up and says: “Oh, no, wait... I can’t. I’ve already had my sugar for the day.”

Conor is eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment