Friday, August 7, 2009

Pain and Joy

As I soaked up the warm joy of sitting in the midst of music, art and happy people doing a little bit both last night, I was very aware that three people I care for (two of which I birthed and would give my life for) were in deep pain, at that very moment.

Three different kinds of pain.

It felt strange to be aware of both the heaviness of the grief and the lightness of the joy living within me.

At first, I felt as though the grief would take over, almost as though it should. And then, it felt as though allowing the joy would not be a betrayal. So I let it.

And it made for a very ... “real” combination.

When a woman showed up and asked quietly if she could sing a capalla and then proceeded to fill the little coffee shop with beautiful, belting sounds of “let the light in”, I let my tears come up, reminded of how much life we can feels when we all joy and pain to cuddle up together.

Life is amazing stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment