Monday, September 6, 2010

Scrapbooking Supplies


I was at a big craft store, yesterday, looking for a specific tool I needed. 

Apparently, it lived in the "scrapbooking aisle." 

This led me to spending ten good minutes in a strange and very unfamiliar land. A land where everything is devoted to the art of presenting, enhancing and preserving the past, in the form of photographs.

I think I had heard of scrapbooking but I had never really gotten that close to it. 

And as I sat there, looking for the little do-hickey I needed (and found), I started to feel really weird. 

And it is very possible that the weirdness came only from my interpretation and misunderstanding.

Nonetheless, I felt weird.

Weird from thinking of all the hours, money and energy spent decorating events that already took place instead of looking up and enjoying the Now.

When I think of it this morning, it was more of an energetic discomfort than anything rational because I am usually not that triggered at all by the way anyone chooses to spend their time. In fact, I can even see the ritualistic joy involved in manipulating photos and reliving happy memories.

But still.

Something about the fact that this is a whole industry - and not a cheap one - devoted to looking behind makes me feel funny. 

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just funny.


4 comments:

  1. I am glad I am not the only one that has had a bit of a "moment" in the scrapbooking aisle. I remember saying to some poor lady I didn't know, who seemed quite happy deciding what shade of paper to buy, "Oh. My. God. Look at all this! Big business is just exploiting a woman's need to create."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, speaking of creating, I loved seeing your beautiful art at Bayshore, a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be a different Julie but I am happy to hear that lovely art crossed your path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I don't do scrapbooking, but for those who do, I'd guess it's their "being in the now". We are all strengthened by looking at our past, (via pictures, stories, rememberances) and for those who choose to make it their creative outlet...more power to them.

    ReplyDelete