Monday, March 8, 2010

Clean.


Yesterday morning, I watched my son walk away from the car, guitar in hand. He was heading out to the 5 minute ferry that would take him to another island for part of the day. There, he would play his guitar for passersby and - as it turns out - come home with a good chunk of cash.

Last night, I asked him if he ever felt self-conscious about performing in front of people (he has only been playing for less than a year and is not yet 12 years old). He asked me what "self-conscious" meant.

I reached inside my brain for an equivalent term that would be familiar to him. "Embarrassed. Do you ever feel embarrassed?"

He seemed confused. "I am playing music. What's embarrassing about that?"

Ok. I get it.

But I still wonder.

So I try again: "Funny. Does it ever feel funny to you to play while people watch?"

So he says - still looking confused: "I go there so people WILL watch me play. So why would I feel funny?"

Purrrrtty Clean.






No comments:

Post a Comment