Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Al's Partnership Vows.





During the course of the last episode of our seven-week "Relationship Wisdom Series," Al  mentioned to notion of "mini marriage vows." It was his contribution to my idea of "setting the intent" for a specific situation, maybe a potentially challenging discussion that needs to take place or  - in the case of Chris and me - ... a full day of shared creative work ahead of us. 


On that note, Al told me that he had just written a "Partnership  Vow" - inspired by his work.


Here it is.


(can you find the pieces that made the Relationship Wisdom Series so powerful: Safety, Reliable Membership, Diversity, Autonomy and Purpose?)


I really like it. 


***


I, John to take you Amy to be my partner on this journey of life.  I commit to grow and learn until I know how to create safety/trust for us both and recover it when it is lost. I guarantee I will get there with you.

I commit to your needs for space - even from me. I will continue to work so that whenever you need a break from anyone or from me, I will help you get it.  I also commit myself to your connection needs. I will continue to work so that even when we are apart you will be able to trust that I will come back to you.  I will grow/learn until we create a reliable partnership that supplies both our needs for connection.  I guarantee I will get there with you.

I commit myself to your needs to be different and to sharing your differing ways of seeing and valuing everything.  I will continue to work until we both feel safely connected in a space where we treasure how different we are and will always be. I guarantee I will get there with you.

I commit myself to your need to always make your own choices for yourself, your body, your property, your thoughts, your emotions, your time and your worth. I will continue to work until both of us experience full respect from each other. I guarantee I will get there with you.

And I commit myself to being a partner in nurturing your soul, its purpose, and its journey on this earth.  I will continue to work to help make this world a better place for us both having been in it, together and separately. I guarantee I will get there with you.

I commit myself to building and recovering love with you for the rest of our lives. I guarantee I will get there with you.  I will do my best.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! I'm still trying to catch up on this series...But I can see it will be worth it to finish listening. I'll share this with my partner.

    ReplyDelete