Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two minute road trip lands us at the psychic's - in PJs.


I wanted to be in bed by 8. The thought of my big white fluffy comforter and a good book made my body soften with anticipation. I slipped on my bright red penguin pajamas and got dinner ready.

But I had forgotten that I needed to pick up Emmett, Tanissa's boyfriend at the ferry ... at 9:20.

Ok. I would be in bed by 9:45.

At 9:15, I and all three of my kids - as well as Roxy the dog - pile up in the car for a 2-minute drive down to the ferry terminal. As often happens when all of us get in the Suby together,  the energy amps up a bit. There is some giggling, some teasing (most often directed at me) and the palpable essence of a real road trip.

As we get near the ferry dock, I notice the neon "open" sign on the little house that sits up on the hill.

The little house that says "Psychic - $10 readings." 

I have seen that house many times, have wondered about it often and yet tonight, it is the first time that I see the open sign.

And of course, the kids have seen it too.

So we pick up Emmett and because the kids' excitement often manages to light up my own never-far-from-the-surface taste for adventure ... we drive up to the little house.

No one's there. But there is a phone on the outside wall. And a number.

Before I can say anything about going home (I am, after all in my pajamas) Marco picks up the phone and within seconds, he is talking to someone and making plans to have her meet us in "5 to 7 minutes."

The next moments are filled with psychic jokes  - most of them pretty darn witty - and finally Lola shows up.

In her pajamas.

She and I look like sisters and we all get a kick out of it.

The initial agreed upon idea was that ONE of them would get a $10 reading but pretty soon, well, all of them are getting a $5 reading. A palm reading.

One by one, the kids sit down and show their palm while the rest of us wait outside. As one comes out, another goes in.

And as each comes out, he/she tells us all about the reading.

Some of it is pretty darn fascinating.

When time comes to leave, Lola and I share a pajama hug, recognizing the mommy-hood in one another and somehow bonded by having shared this time with a bunch of cool kids, on a clear february night.

I am in bed at 10:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment