Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pregnant - In Reverse





I remember the day I found out I was pregnant with Her. I had known already, in my newly growing motherly heart that She was there and yet it was so thrilling to hear the confirmation.


I had nine months to get ready.

And by the time She was born, I was ready. Mostly.

Ready to share my body, my nights, my sleep, myself.

Yesterday - eighteen years later - I received a similar timeline: I have six months to get ready.

Six months to get ready to let Her go. Six months to get ready to put Her on a plane to fly to the other end of the world. And most likely never fully come back.

By the time August rolls around, I will be ready. Mostly.

2 comments:

  1. Its strange how our biggest fears and our proudest moments in motherhood often involve the same event. I got shivers when I read this, for selfish reasons...I think I see a similiar event happening but I am a couple of years behind you, however, he already has his British passport in his hands, waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I think this is why we have beautiful words like "bittersweet."

    ReplyDelete