Thursday, July 9, 2009

Forty Years of Pizza

“I have friends all over the world.”

It is early in the morning and I have called this older gentleman to discuss the possibility of collaborating on re-opening the town’s drive-in movie theater (that’s another whole story). We seem unable to stick to the subject at hand, however, thus his declaration.

Quickly followed by:
“I made most of them over pizza.”

I then find out that for the last forty years, without fail and wherever he found himself in the world, every Friday, my new friend has gone out for pizza and invited whoever wanted to sit at his table to join him.

He has done it in France, in Vietnam, in Sweden too (I think he said Sweden...) and many other places. He continues to do it, every Friday, at home in Anacortes.

So there you go:
A crust of generosity, a layer of adventure, some bits of curiosity, a good helping of conversation, a good sprinking of hospitality and a whole bunch of cheese.

Pretty darn cool, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment