Monday, July 12, 2010

Kale Chips

I love the way kale grows all these ruffles, right here in my little garden and I love the way "kale chips" taste - and make me feel. 
These are raw, dehydrated and amazing. Not "health food tasting" at all. 
I adapted this recipe from my friend Joanie's Choose to Thrive cookbook.


Joanie's Kale Chips
2 bunches kale
1/2 C tahini
2 cloves garlic
1/4 olive oil
1/2 t salt 
2 T light miso
1/2 C water
Pinch cayenne
1/2 C grounded golden flax seeds (optional)


(the wet stuff makes a great salad dressing, too!)

  • Wash the kale, remove the stems, and tear it into 2” pieces.
  • Mix everything except the kale and the flax seeds into a blender and blend until smooth.
  • In a large bowl, toss the kale with the sauce until the leaves are well coated (I use my hands)
  • Line your dehydrator with teflex sheets (I sometimes skip that part too) and arrange the coated kale in a single layer.
  • Sprinkle the ground flax on top of the kale.
  • Dehydrate until crisp (I have to leave the house while they dry because I keep peeking and tasting and have even eaten a whole batch before they were done - but that's just me)
They are amazing! 
Let me know what you think, ok?

PS for balance, I may share my fully non healthy and fat ladden "La Vie en Rose Key Lime Pie" recipe soon...