Saturday, July 31, 2010

Darn Accountability



My coach told me that I had 24 hours to make 8 calls to prospective meeting planners.

Once I got past the "Hey that's MY line" syndrome, I found oh ... 12 things that were much more important for me to do that day. One of them included washing the ceiling in my bathroom. I kid you not. 

Noon came around. Then 2:00. Then 2:30.

I was going around my business and looked fully efficient I am sure. Inside, I was squirming. 

I had agreed. I said that I would make those calls. And really, I loved that he was holding me to a timeline. I know how well this technique works because I use it with my clients all the time. I tell them "be sure to shoot me a quick email when you're done." I get it. 

But still. Cold calling sucks.

So, I cleaned up my desk (that's one of my little quirks and a topic better left for another time) and picked up the phone. 

Within 3 minutes, I had booked a speaking date. Just like that. 

And pretty soon, another one. 

Would I have done it without having promised to report to him? I would love to say yes. But I have to say ... no. 

Accountability to another person is often what makes things click. Not because of fear (my coach lives across the country so I am in no danger of getting a spanking) but because of ... I don't know, something that happens to many of us when we say: "Yep. I'll do it."

It's good.