Friday, May 28, 2010

In Awe of Le Creuset







Twenty some years ago, I had the amazing luck of finding a set of bright orange Le Creuset pans at a garage sale.

I have loved these pans (did I mention the bright orange color?) for all these years and well... it was showing. 

My friends made jokes about them and occasionally offered to buy me new pans (no one offered to buy me new Le Creuset, I noticed)

But I loved them too much to replace them with some pale comparison.

Finally, a couple of months ago, I knew it was time. The bottoms were really chipping and I started to worry about stuff leaking into the food. 

As I got ready to throw them out, Chris suggested I wait for him to look into any sort of "re-enameling options."

Too happy to have an extension, I put them in the back of a cupboard. 

A couple of weeks passed and Chris said that all he had found was someone on a forum saying that ... Le Creuset had REPLACED her pans. Somehow he had filed it under the "too good to be true" category and had not bothered to mention it.

I love too good to be true. 

A couple of days - and phone calls - later we were lovingly shipping three of our babies off to the mother plant, somewhere on the East Coast, having been told that Le Creuset would examine them and either replace them or offer me a 75% discount on new ones.

Either way sounded pretty darn fabulous.

And almost too good to be true.

Well, I just got off the phone with this AMAZING company and was told that three brand new pans are on their way to me. 

Lifetime warranty, they call it.

I call it magic. I call it kindness. I call it ... WOW. 



No comments:

Post a Comment