Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Anniversaries that Hurt

I sit across from a dear client.


She had said that she needed to see me because she was "spinning into a vortex."


As we begin to talk, I sense that her pain is way stronger than "makes sense." I can feel the sharpness of it in my own chest and along with it, a deep sense of despair. 


We talk some more. 


The pain takes over the room. 


Pretty soon I ask her what this calendar time represents for her.


And then we both know.


We both know that her heart has shown up to acknowledge the huge, excruciating pain that came into her life four years and three weeks ago.


Her heart - as our hearts do - is having an Anniversary. One of those Anniversaries that really hurt. 


And the kind that, even if we don't let our minds, daytimers or even words acknowledge ... is still an Anniversary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment