Friday, June 12, 2009

For the Love of Connection

Sitting at a red light, yesterday, I became aware of this great music swimming in and out of the car’s open windows.

Already high on the simple fact that the windows were open (a pleasure we do not take for granted, here in Washington), I let myself be subconsciously wooed by the sound until my appreciation overflowed a bit and I turned to Chris and said “What IS this music? I love it!.”

The question was out and so the answer had been given an invitation to show up.

Turns out, it lived in a big beige van who was stopped a little bit ahead of us, on the other lane.

I made my way to it just as the driver was putting the CD away.

I leaned out and asked her what that music was.

She leaned out, smiling and told me all about it.

Our exchange lasted a pleasantly long time and the red might have agreed as it did not switch to green for a good while.

When it did, we resumed our connection at the next light.

This woman and I may never see each other again and yet we are forever connected.

We spent a few minutes expressing joint appreciation for a sound.

She gifted me a new sound.

I gifted her my gratitude.

I believe both of our afternoons were enhanced by it.

I just love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment