Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kindness

I am thinking, tonight, of an amazing (and quiet) kindness that was bestowed upon me almost a decade ago.

I was weeks into "my life's new arrangement", following the ending of my thirteen year marriage. 

The new arrangement stated that our children would spend alternate weeks at my and their Daddy's home. 

In some ways, it was violent. Brutal. For all of us.

To add to the craziness, money was scarce and the stress level high. 

One morning, Joan and Cheryl - who owned and ran the pre-school that my two youngest children attended - called me and asked me for "a favor":

They wanted to know if I could "help them out" and work at the school every other Friday. 

The Friday of the week when my kids were at their Dad's. 

Meaning: would I please come spend the day with my two boys ... and get paid for it?

The grace, generosity, thoughtfulness of this gesture has never left me. 

Not only did it save my heart but it gifted me with a model to thrive for.

I hope that I have occasionally done it justice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment